The leading UK, European and Worldwide removals specialists
Call Us: 0800 917 1015
Overseas enquiries: +44 (0)1963 34065
Request a quote callback Testimonials

Tel: 0800 917 1015

The certifications above apply only to Armishaws Removals Wincanton

Check out our new infographic:
A customer's view of Armishaws Customer art
Read our new expat country guides - unique to Armishaws.

Healthcare in Portugal

Portugal has a reciprocal agreement for visitors from other European Union countries requiring medical treatment and tourists from the UK are entitled to free treatment on production of a British passport and the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You can apply for an EHIC at UK post offices or online - Visitors from outside of the EU do not have this reciprocal agreement, and so they must make their own arrangements.

Once living in Portugal, you can apply for a Cart�o de Utente (health card). This card gives foreign residents the same rights to treatment as Portuguese citizens and depending on circumstances, discounts on medicines. If you do not have this card and are permanently resident in Portugal, you will need to have private medical insurance.

To obtain a card, you must go to your nearest Centro de Sa�de (health centre) with your passport, Certid�o or Cart�o de Resid�ncia (residence certificate or card) and your Cart�o de Seguran�a Social (social security card). You will be given a temporary certificate until your health card is ready for collection at the health centre. This can take up to 3 months or even longer in some areas.

Once you have your health card, you can then be assigned a M�dico de Fam�lia (family doctor/GP) at your local health centre. You should take your health card or the N�mero Utente (patient number) when registering at the health centre for the first time and also when seeing a doctor other than the one you have been assigned. Although health care is funded via taxation, you will still need to pay a small fee at each visit.

Whenever you need see a specialist or consultant, you will require a referral first from your family doctor. However, when you need X-rays, blood analysis and certain other tests, your doctor will write a prescription. You must then take this along to the appropriate clinic/department. You will be required to pay an amount towards the cost of the tests.

Basic national health cover includes all types of care excluding dentistry.

If you need emergency treatment, you should dial 112 (free). This number also covers fire and police.

Farm�cias (chemists) are open in every town during normal shopping hours, which are typically 9 A.M. to 1 P.M. and 3 P.M. to 7 P.M. Outside of these hours there is a Farm�cia de Servi�o (duty chemist) available. Every chemist should have a list of the duty chemists in the area on its door. A chemist can also usually offer advice when you are unable to get to your health centre or family doctor.

All pensioners and those receiving long-term incapacity benefit are entitled to free health treatment. If you are from the UK, you will need an S1 form to receive this entitlement. You must take this form along to your nearest Seguran�a Social (social security office) - in Portugal with your passport and residence certificate or card and ask for a Cart�o de Seguran�a Social (social security card). When you receive your social security card, you can then go to the local health centre and apply for a Cart�o de Utente (health card), as detailed above.

If you have any doubts, contact the in the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle before settling in Portugal.

International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA