Taking your car to Italy

Taking Your Car to Italy

Driving in and around Italy is a unique experience on its own and many people who move to Italy choose to take their car with them.

There are many things to consider when moving your car to italy with you so to save you some time, we have put together some of the key things to remember!

Facts for moving your car to italy

Re-registering your car in Italy

Only foreign nationals with official residence in Italy, and in possession of an identity card may register a foreign car in Italy. Also the car must be registered within 12 months of its arrival in Italy.

For registering a car from the UK the first step is to cancel the car’s registration with the DVLA, the car may then be driven to Italy on provisional number plates. There is a fee for issuing the new number plates in Italy; however cars older than 6 months do not incur VAT (IVA).

Registration certificate (certificate of registration), suitably translated or in certain cases a technical supplementary statement, including EC directives on exhaust gas emissions, braking, steering, seat belts etc. or the C.O.C. (Certificate of Conformity) for which a photocopy is sufficient.

It’s also important to check and be issued with an appropriate statement from a mechanic regarding the position of headlights that are dissimilar in the two countries. After collecting all the documentation and paying the relevant fee, you can get the vehicle nationalization certificate.

If you want to do it alone, a good idea is to contact the DMV office in your province, or else obtain information from the ACI website (http://www.aci.it) or you can get your problems solved by experts in this field, like Roberta: at Agency Tavernelli (Info@agenziatavernelli.it), who is connected with all the public motoring office systems.

Car Insurance

All vehicles in Italy must have 3rd-party liability insurance. Italy is also a signatory to the Green Card System (International Motor Insurance Certificate), which is proof of 3rd-party insurance.

Changing your licence

A valid UK driving licence is automatically accepted in Italy. If the holder of a UK licence wants to exchange it for an Italian licence, no theoretical or practical tests are necessary.

However, if a traffic offence is committed and points must be taken from the licence, residents of Italy who are holders of a non-Italian licence are required to exchange it for an Italian licence.

Road tax

Road tax for cars in Italy is depends on the engine size (or power rating), for trucks it is based on carrying capacity and for mopeds it’s a fixed price, to work out what you will pay you can use http://www1.agenziaentrate.gov.it/inglese/services/road_tax.htm (in English).

Also, don’t forget, Italy’s entire network of motorways (autostrada), charge a toll. When entering the highway you pick up a ticket and pay when you leave. Full details of the Italian road network and toll pricing can be found here, also in English http://www.autostrade.it/en

Traffic offences

In 2003 a points-based penalty system was introduced in Italy. Each driver starts with 20 points and with each offence the driver loses points. Drivers who lose all 20 points must retake the driving test.

The legal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limit for drivers in Italy is less than .05%, (i.e. 50 mg/100 ml of blood). Italian police may carry out random alcohol tests on drivers at anytime, with severe penalties for those failing a test.

Cash fines can be levied for any traffic offences and may be paid directly to the police officer or at the nearest Police Station (Ufficio di Polizia), within 60 days.

Police in Italy

There are a confusing number of differing police forces in Italy, however, all of them can prosecute unfortunate drivers, they are:

  • Military Police (Carabinieri) despite their military name you will find Carabinieri in all aspects of Italian policing, from traffic offences to murder investigations;
  • Traffic Police (Polizia Stradale) manage the Italian highways and roads;
  • Municipal Police (Polizia Comunale) enforce the traffic and parking regulations in Italian towns;
  • Finance Police (Guardia di Finanzia) who are responsible for all financial crimes, e.g. tax evasion, as well as border controls.

For Free Advice and a Quotation call Freephone 0800 917 1015

Find out what our customers say...

Get a Quick Quote


    Our Accreditations