Importing Your Car To France

Rated 4.8/5
on Trustpilot

Family Owned
Business Est 1973

British Association
of Removers

Eco Friendly

Importing Your Car To France

If you’re taking your car with you, it must be registered and plated with a French registration number. For this you’ll need;

  • Certificat de Conformité/Attestation d’identification.

(equivalent of the UK MOT)

  • A tax certificate.
  • Proof of ownership of the vehicle.

If you haven’t driven in France before, you should be aware that all vehicles in France are legally required to carry;

  • A warning triangle.
  • A hi-visibility vest for each occupant.

Also, it’s illegal to drive a in France with any missing lightbulbs so it’s advisable to carry spares.


Can I use my driving license?

You can use your British driving license for up to 12 months. After that you’ll need to take a test to gain a French driving license (having the wrong license will invalidate your insurance).

If you are considering taking your car to France, it should be noted that there are greater risks for driving a right-hand-drive car than adapting to a left-hand-drive vehicle. Sight lines are greatly reduced, in particular when overtaking and at junctions. We always advise movers to switch to a left-hand drive vehicle.


All the above information was correct at the time of writing. French legislation is liable to change and we recommend you check with the correct French authorities in regards to all legal requirements prior to your move to France.


Ready to start planning your move? Get a free quote.


    Get a Quick Quote